Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Chair Socks!

Back in November, my hubby and his best bud put wood floors down in the kitchen! To preserve our new floors, Danny put felt pads on the bottom of everything! We've been adjusting the felt pads on the chairs ever since! It was getting bothersome and expensive...those felt pads add up when your constantly replacing them! I thought I'd search online for something other than felt pads. I found the tennis balls...I don't really care for the look. So I kept searching...then I found some adorable little chair socks! They were perfect...accept they cost $10 before shipping and tax for a set of 4! Four socks times 8 chairs times $10 before shipping and tax...not looking so perfect after all! That is until I had a light bulb moment...don't you love those?!
Remember when I was talking about all that fabric I had when I was making napkins...I made like 30 napkins and didn't even make a dent in my fabric! Well, I thought I'd make my own chair socks...the chair sock idea was looking perfect again!

Here's what you need:
-a 6 inch circle pattern (I just used a piece of paper and a protractor)
-64 fabric circles (for 8 chairs)
-32 tight weave batting circles
-Raffia, twine, or ribbon


Step 1: Trace 64 circles onto your fabric (I doubled my fabric over and pinned it so I'd only have to cut 32) and 32 circles onto your batting.


Step 2: Layer 2 pieces of fabric with a piece of batting in the middle and pin.


Step 3: Sew a 1/2 inch seam on your circles leaving raw edges.


Step 4: Next you are going to rag your edges by sniping the edges all the way around each circle! It's time consuming, but the end result it too cute!


Step 5: Place the circle on the leg of your chair, wrap the raffia around to cinch it together, and then fluff the edges! This is the unwashed look.


This is the look after they are washed and dryed, which is the true "rag" look!

Note: I left the felt pads on each leg to give it a little more padding.

7 comments:

  1. Those a super cute, but I know who would have a ball with them in our house....Mallory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, isn't that the dandiest thing I've seen in a while?
    Yes! it is.

    What a super idea. I'm considering this myself now... oh, to find a presser foot... my sewing list is growing!
    came from the barn hop!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea and so cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a smart idea! You can change them with the seasons and for holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. super idea, but less time cutting if you purchase the BIG SHOT from SU! Several circle sizes to choose from & cuts 8 cotto layers at a time....that's just a blip of what it does; contact your SU demo & if you're Canadian, give me a shout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great idea - I wish I needed them!

    ReplyDelete