Saturday, June 4, 2011

Washington Mall

The Washington Mall is the area where the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Capital Building, White House, Smithsonian and smaller memorials and museums are located in DC. The weather was perfect yesterday so we started walking from the hotel to catch the bus, then from the bus to the Metro, and from the Metro we got off at the Federal Triangle. There we found an open air market with a banjo player and a lot of beautiful office buildings that housed most of the government departments.


The first stop on our walk was the White House visitor's center. There were paintings from the White House and lots of information about how it was built and how it functions. Then it was off to see the White House!


After viewing the White House and National Christmas tree, we headed towards the Boy Scout Memorial. In this photo, I wanted to focus on the Eagle Scout since my boy just earned his, but there were 2 Greek god-like figures standing behind him.


Here is Cameron next to the base of the statue where there was an inscription of the Scout Oath which says, "On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the scout law. To help other people at all times to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight."


Next we headed over to the Washington Monument. I love the ring of American flags blowing in the breeze around the base of the monument.


From there we walked towards the reflection pool. Much to my surprise, we came to the WWII memorial. I don't recall seeing this the last time I was in DC and I have to say it was beautiful. This picture only shows half of the memorial. Each pillar and wreath represents a state or US territory that served in this war. The center pillar's represented the the Atlantic and Pacific. If you looked up through the center, the sun would shine through a giant wreath being held up by 4 eagles.

I have a bunch more photo's, so check in later to see some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment