Friday, July 29, 2011

Lots of Blueberries

This past weekend we went to Uncle Dale's house...well he's not really an Uncle to any of us, but the kids just started calling him that and it stuck. Uncle Dale is actually Cousin Dale to Danny. So, Dale invites us every year to pick his blueberries and like the peaches, they were the prettiest I'd ever seen and tasted from these bushes. Let me just add that one bush was about 8 feet tall and all 7 of us could stand around the same bush with our arms stretched out and not touch each other! Yes, this bush was that big and full of berries! There were 3 more bushes, but they were only about a quarter to half the size.

I've been terrible lately about my camera...it wasn't the battery this time, I just neglected to bring it with me. It was 100*, very humid, I was still in my Sunday dress, and the heat was starting to get to me. So, I picked for a while, but then I had to retreat to the house for some ice cold water.


We ended up bringing 3 gallons home and the bushes were still loaded! You might ask what I'm going to do with 3 gallons of blueberries? Well, I made the yummiest blueberry muffins; then I made a big bunch of the yummiest whole wheat blueberry pancakes; we froze some; and all the parents requested that I make blueberry syrup.

There are a few ways you can make it...
You can make small batches as you go and just keep it in the refrigerator or you can make a big batch and can it so you only have to make it once. I went with the make a batch so I'd only have to do it once!


For mine I used a couple of different sources...one called for making a juice
first, then strain it through cheese cloth, then make your syrup, and then can it. I don't enjoy straining with cheese cloth because it takes to long for me. Another just had you put everything in the pot, bring to a boil and then pour it through a mesh strainer. There was even one that had you just leave the berries in. Like anything you cook, personal preference is going to play a part. I personally don't mind a bit of pulp, so I opted to toss it all in the pot, cook, pour through the mesh strainer, and then I followed the canning procedure.

For mine, I used 1 cup of sugar for every cup of berries and 1 TBSP of lemon juice for every 3 cups of berries. I brought the mixture to a boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Then, I covered the pot and simmered for 10 minutes. Next, I poured my mixture through a mesh strainer. Finally, I poured it in the jars and processed for 10 minutes in my canner.


This is what 4 cups of berries made...4 delicious half pints of blueberry syrup! Bring on the cheesecake!

1 comment:

  1. that syrup looks delicious.I need to try making some,I did strawberry jam and syrup since we had an abundance of them.We just planted our berri bushes so maybe in the future.

    ReplyDelete