Saturday, August 20, 2011

Heading West!

I've literally taken like 500 photos so far. I have the ability to blog in the car, but I find myself glued to the window with camera in hand because I don't want to miss a thing. We have such a beautiful country and this trip is to places we've never seen. I don't want to even blink! The next few photos are from the first few days of our trip.


This guy was actually on a farm that raised stock to be released into the wild. The game in this part of the country are BIG!


There was corn as far as the eye could see and it went on for miles and miles and miles...and miles!


We stopped in Walnut Grove, Minnesota to visit the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum. We also visited the spot where their dugout was on Plum Creek. Here Danny locked the kids up in this jail cell replica from that period.


Our next stop was in Mitchell, South Dakota at the Corn Palace. Yes, those murals are made completely from corn!


We were on our way to Wall, South Dakota when we started seeing these fields of yellow in the distance. I asked Dan what he thought they were and his guess was mustard...I honestly didn't have a clue, but when I saw that they were sunflowers, my jaw fell! I've always heard how pretty a field of sunflowers was, but never seen one this size.


This is a recently harvested wheat field. The stripes went as far as the eye could see. I can't describe what it's like to see farms on this scale. I live in a farming community, but the land where I live is flat...here in the hills, you can see for miles and it really is breath taking.


Here are few mountain goat we saw in the Badlands of South Dakota.


There is beautiful prairie land surrounding the Badlands.

Check in later for photos from Rushmore!

No comments:

Post a Comment