Friday, March 25, 2011

Tomato Sauce

For this week's Food Friday post, I'll be sharing my favorite Tomato Sauce! I have to be honest, I've never measured my ingredients for this recipe before...that is until today! I have to say, it turned out VERY yummy! I use this recipe for pizza and pasta because it's a nice thick sauce that's FULL of flavor!

What you'll need:
12-14 cups of crushed tomatoes
1 10 oz. can of tomato paste
1 Large Sweet Onion (chopped)
2 TBSP Garlic (crushed)
3 TBSP Olive Oil
2 Cups Water
3 TBSP Parsley
1 TBSP Sea Salt
2 TBSP Basil
2 TBSP Oregano
1 TBSP Pepper
2 TBSP Sugar
2 tsp Thyme
2 tsp Garlic Powder (I love garlic)
4 Bay Leaves


Step 1: Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until soft and clear.


Step 2: Puree the tomatoes, paste and onion/garlic mixture in the blender then pour into pot.


Step 3: Add all of the spices and water, stir, and simmer 4-6 hours...be sure to stir occasionally to keep from burning the bottom! The longer it simmers, the thicker and richer it gets! I usually keep mine on the stove all day!


Step 4: Once your sauce is cool, spoon it into quart size freezer bags! I put about 3 cups of sauce in each bag which is plenty for a few pizza's!

Note: When I use this sauce for pasta, I scramble some meat (sausage, deer, beef or bison) and add it to the sauce! You can add the meat before freezing too!

No comments:

Post a Comment