Thursday, January 19, 2012

Making Soap!

Well, I promised some photo's of making soap!
First, you'll want to find a recipe...my first batch as well as the one I'm about to show you came from an e-book that I purchased for $10 from Homemaking on the Homestead. This book was written for beginners and gives step by step photo tutorials on how to make 3 basic bars of soap...even a laundry bar! I was very intimidated when I first considered making my own soap, but I highly recommend this book if you are interested in soap making because it's full of photos and each step is explained very well!

Let's get started...
First, I precisely measured the oils and melted them over medium heat in a stainless steal pot.


Second, I precisely measured my lye and water in separate glass measuring cups.


For this next step, you'll want to move to a well ventilated place or even outside to mix your water and lye. ***VERY IMPORTANT*** Never pour the water into the lye it will result in a dangerous eruption...remember to mix carefully. I recommend skin and eye protection.


Next, I had to let both mixtures cool.


Once the mixtures are at the correct temperature, it's time to combine them. Again, be very careful, because the lye is caustic. If by chance you do get it on your skin, you'll want to rinse the area immediately with white vinegar to neutralize the lye.


The stick blender will speed up the saponification process. It took me about 12 minutes to achieve "trace".


Trace is difficult to explain, but easy to recognize. It's the point when the mixture is ready for fragrance, exfoliants, and pouring. The fragrance oils will sometimes change the color of your mixture depending on what kind you're using.


Completely mix in your fragrance oil and pour into a mold. As you can see, my soap looks a bit like Fels Naptha...which is what I currently use to make my laundry detergent! I can't wait to use these!


Insulate your mold with a towel so it can cool slowly. Allow it to rest for at least 24 hours.


After it has rested, remove from mold and cut it into bars.


Let your bars rest on a shelf for the allotted amount of time.


There you have it...homemade soap! My new most favorite fun thing to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment